What's this? / Report Bad Ads
Latest News
Vatican

Vatican comments on situation of missing Chinese Bishop Shao Zhumin

June 26, 2017. Bishop Peter Shao Zhumin, from Wenzhou in Continental China, was taken into custody by Chinese police on Easter weekend 2017. While recognized as a bishop in the Catholic Church, he is an unofficial bishop or "underground” in China, since the Chinese government does not recognize him as religious.
Pope Francis

Pope Francis' complete schedule for Colombia trip

June 23, 2017. He will go to Colombia September 6-11.
Vatican

Bruno Marie Duffé, new secretary of the Department for Integral Development

June 16, 2017. Thepope has named French priest Bruno Marie Duffé, from Lyon, number two of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development. He will be in charge of one of the key offices in the Vatican Curia.
Pope Francis

Angela Merkel to meet with pope on June 17

June 9, 2017. The Vatican has confirmed that on Saturday, June 17, German Chancellor Angela Merkel will meet with Pope Francis. Both have previously met in Rome in May 2016, February 2015 and May 2013, two months after Pope Francis was elected pontiff.
Pope Francis

Pope Francis to meet with Venezuelan bishops on June 8

June 5, 2017. Pope Francis will meet with Venezuelan bishops next Thursday to discuss the situation their country is facing.
Vatican

New secretary of the Dicastery for Laity, Family and Life

May 31, 2017. The Brazilian priest Alexandre Awi Mello, the National Director of Brazil's Schönstatt Movement, will serve as the new secretary. He was born Rio de Janeiro in 1971, and ordained a priest in 2001.

Vatileaks prosecutor: “Journalists are being tried for illegally obtaining information"

2015-11-24

The speed with which the official at the Tribunal of the Vatican City State read the names of those charged illustrates how the Vatican plans to move the case forward: quickly.

Sitting on the bench were the five defendants: Vatican employees Lucio Ángel Vallejo Balda, Francesca Chaouqui y Nicola Maio and two Italian journalists, Gianluigi Nuzzi and Emiliano Fittipaldi. 

"Vallejo Balda, Chaouqui and Maio obtained this information and documents as part of their respective commissions on the Prefecture for Economic Affairs and the COSEA. While Fittipaldi and Nuzzi requested and exerted pressures, especially on Vallejo Balda, to obtain documents and reserved information then used for writing two books published in Italy in November 2015.”

The session began at 10:30 a.m. and ended before noon.

The main defendant, Monsignor Vallejo Balda said "okay,” that "he feels protected,” and that the Pope "wishes that the process will end soon.”

The journalist Emiliano Fittipaldi asked to speak. He said that his indictment was void because "in Italy, the conduct for which I am accused of would not be prosecuted criminally because I was not accused of publishing false or defamatory stories but having published news.”

The prosecutor replied that "the reason for the trial is the way in which they have acquired the information, that is, in a way that prosecution considers unlawful.”

Defense attorneys have until Saturday to present their evidence against the allegations.

Beginning Monday, November 30th, the trial will continue with the interrogation of five defendants and witnesses that each side chooses to present.

Their responses could worsen or ease the penalty, given that the accused are facing between four and eight years in prison.


JMB/ATO
CTV
V
-BN
Up:ZS