November 21, 2009.
The idea of full communion between the Catholic and Anglican Church has been at the forefront of ecumenical dialogue since the Second Vatican Council. The goal of this rapport is the future interchangeability of sacraments and ministers between the two Churches.
As the Anglican Church was born fruit of a schism and not for an heresy, despite they are different both Churches have much more in common than most people might think.
Ecumenical dialogue, though, was put forth for a reason. There are still three main points of contention between Catholics and Anglicans: the ordination of women as priests and bishops, moral issues and the role of the pope in the Church.
Reverend Bill Franklin says about 90% of the divisive issues that came out of the Reformation have been solved. He’s hopeful the other 10% will be too.
Rev. Bill Franklin
Associate Director, American Academy (Rome)
“I think eventually they will be solved, I think, just as we’ve solved these other problems. But this work is a work of time. People have to be patient. Friendship is very important. Maintaining good human relations across the borders of the two Churches and not giving up too soon on this ecumenical hope
Giving up on positive relations doesn’t look like an option for either Church.
For now, the last chapter is the positive reaction from the Anglican primate to the pope’s decision to create personal ordinariates for welcoming Anglicans to the Catholic Church. Much more than a positive step forward in for future ecumenical dialogue between the two Churches.