Society of St.Pius X meets with Cong. Doctrine of Faith
September 23, 2014. On Tuesday morning, Cardinal Gerhard Muller, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, met with the Superior General of the Society of St. Pius X, Bishop Bernard Fellay. According to the Vatican, during their two hour meeting, "it was decided to proceed gradually and over a reasonable period of time in order to overcome difficulties and with a view to the envisioned full reconciliation."
Pope Francis visits Basilica of St. Mary Major
Pope Francis visited the Basilica of St. Mary Major this afternoon to give thanks to the Virgin Mary for his visit and safe return from his Apostolic Visit to Albania. The Pope left a bouquet of flowers given to him yesterday evening at the 'Betania' center.
New Bishop in Germany
September 19, 2014. Pope Francis has named Bishop Ulrich Neymeyr as bishop of the Diocese of Erfurt, Germany.
New Bishop Named for Sydney Archdiocese
Pope Francis has named Bishop Anthony Fisher, OP of Parramatta as the ninth Archbishop of Syndey. Bishop Fisher succeeds Cardinal George Pell, who currently serves as Prefect of the Secretariat for the Economy.
Two New Saints
September 17, 2014. Pope Francis will be canonizing two new saints in the coming months: Blessed Joseph Vaz (India, 1651-Sri Lanka 1711) and Blessed Maria Cristina de la Inmaculada Concepcion (Italia 1856-1906). In addition he also approved miracles attributed to both these saints, including one attributed to the intercession of Marie-Elisabeth Turgeon, founder Sisters of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary (Canada 1840-1881).
Match for Peace raises €2,500,000
September 10, 2014. The Interreligious Match for Peace raised €2,500,000.
The match was organized by Scholas, an educational organization promoted by the Pope. Their goal was to raise funds to continue their initiatives.
Several current soccer stars, such as Buffon, Mascherano and Del Piero participated, as well as soccer legends Maradona, Zamorano and Zanetti.
Pope appoints Secretary for Pontifical Commission for Protection of Minors
September 10, 2014. The Pope has assigned Msgr. Robert Oliver, from the Archdiocese of Boston, as the Secretary of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors. Before that, Oliver served as a prosecutor in the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
Burundi police arrest man for murder of three Italian nuns
September 9, 2014. One of the two suspects police detained after the murder of three Italian nuns in Burundi reportedly confessed to the crime.
The nuns' religious order announced that the sisters' funeral will take place next September 11 in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Pope Francis meets with Maradona
September 4, 2014. Pope Francis met with soccer legend, Diego Armando Maradona, just days after the inter-religious soccer match for peace, took place in Rome’s Olympic Stadium.
Pope to marry 20 couples at the Vatican on September 14th
August 29th, 2014. The Pope will marry 20 couples on September 14th in St. Peter's Basilica. The ceremony will take place at 9am. The couples are from the diocese of Rome. The celebration will take place 3 weeks before the Synod on the Family.
Pope Names New Archbishop of Madrid
August 28, 2014. Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Cardinal Antonio María Rouco Varela, Archbishop of Madrid (Spain). The Pope has named Archbishop Carlos Osoro Sierra of Valencia as Cardinal Rouco´s successor. Also, Cardenal Antonio Cañizares has been appointed as the new Archbishop of Valencia, Spain. He will replace Arch. Carlos Osoro Sierra.
Pope Francis names new bishop of Toledo (U.S.A.)
August 26, 2014. Pope Francis named Bishop Daniel Edward Thomas as bishop of Toledo (U.S.A.) Until now, Bishop Thomas served as auxiliary bishop of Philadelphia and titutlar bishop of Bardstown. Pope Francis also accepted the resignation of Bishop Giuseppe Merisi as bishop of Lodi (Italy) and named Bishop Maurizio Malvestiti as his replacement.
Benedict XVI celebrates Mass in the Vatican with former students
August 25, 2015. Benedict XVI's former students had the chance of meeting him one more time. He celebrated Mass at the Vatican with them to close their annual gatherings in Castelgandolfo, more known as Schuelerkreis. Still, the Pope emeritus didn't attend their meetings.
The feast of Saint Peter and Saint Paul will be on June 29th. A ceremony will be celebrated at the Vatican in which the Pope will bestow the pallium on the metropolitan Archbishops named in the last year.
The pallium is a tailored cloak made from the wool of lambs blessed by the Pope on the feast of Saint Agnes on January 21st. It is placed over the shoulders of the new archbishops who come from all over the world for this moment.
LIST OF ARCHBISHOPS WHO WILL RECEIVE THE PALLIUM:
1. Msgr. Victor Henry THAKUR, Archbishop of Raipur (India)
2. Msgr. José Rafael QUIRÓS QUIRÓS, Archbishop of San José de Costa Rica (Costa Rica)
3. Msgr. Giuseppe FIORINI MOROSINI, O.M., Archbishop of the region of Calabria-Bova (Italy)
4. Msgr. Leo W. CUSHLEY, Archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh (Scotland)
5. Msgr. Jaime SPENGLER, O.F.M., Archbishop of Porto Alegre (Brazil)
6. Msgr. Jean-Luc BOUILLERET, Archbishop of Besançon (France)
7. Msgr. Leonard Paul BLAIR, Archbishop of Hartford (U.S.A.)
8. Msgr. Gabriel ‘Leke ABEGUNRIN, Archbishop of Ibadan (Nigeria)
9. Msgr. Sebastian Francis SHAW, O.F.M., Archbishop of Lahore (Pakistan)
10. Msgr. Franz LACKNER, O.F.M., Archbishop of Salzburg (Austria)
11. Msgr. Thomas Luke MSUSA, S.M.M., Archbishop of Blantyre (Malawi)
12. Msgr. Benjamin Marc Balthason RAMAROSON, C.M., Archbishop of Antsiranana (Madagascar)
13. Msgr. René Osvaldo REBOLLEDO SALINAS, Archbishop of La Serena (Chile)
14. Msgr. Marlo M. PERALTA, Archbishop of Nueva Segovia (The Philippines)
15. Msgr. Emmanuel OBBO, Archbishop of Tororo (Uganda)
16. Msgr. Daniel Fernando STURLA BERHOUET, S.D.B., Archbishop of Montevideo (Uruguay)
17. Msgr. Marco ARNOLFO, Archbishop of Vercelli (Italy)
18. Msgr. Damian Denis DALLU, Archbishop of Songea (Tanzania)
19. Msgr. Romulo T. DE LA CRUZ, Archbishop of Zamboanga (The Philippines)
20. Msgr. Malcolm Patrick McMAHON, O.P., Archbishop of Liverpool (England)
21. Msgr. Paul BÙI VN OC, Archbishop of Thành-Phô Hô Chí Minh, Hôchiminh Ville (Vietnam)
22. Msgr. Wojciech POLAK, Archbishop of Gniezno (Poland)
23. Msgr. José Luiz Majella DELGADO, C.SS.R., Archbishop of Pouso Alegre (Brazil)
24.Msgr. Agustinus AGUS, Archbishop of Pontianak (Indonesia)
Archbishops who won't be present at the ceremony:
25. Msgr. Tarcisius Gervazio ZIYAYE, Archbishop of Lilongwe (Malawi)
26. Msgr. Nicholas MANG THANG, Archbishop of Mandalay (Burma)
27. Msgr. Stephan BURGER, Archbishop of Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany)