On January 20, Pope Francis met with Cardinal Angelo Amato, the prefect for the Congregation for the Causes of Saints to announce the publication of decrees for the advancement of eight causes of sainthood.
First, a miracle was attributed to the intercession of Ven. Arsenio da Trigolo (1849-1909), a Capuchin Franciscan priest who founded the Sisters of Our Lady of Consolation.
The following received decrees of heroic virtues:
- Fr. Raymundo Jardón Herrera (1887-1934), a diocesan priest from Mexico.
- Fr. Juan Sáez Hurtado (1897-1982), a diocesan priest from Spain.
- Fr. Ignazio Beschin (1880-1952), a Franciscan priest.
- Fr. Joseph Vandor (1909-79), a Hungarian Salesian priest who served in Cuba.
- Fr. Francesco Convertini (1898-1976), an Italian Salesian priest who served in India.
- Sr. Maria Addolorata De Pascali (1897-1981), foundress of the Sisters Disciples of the Sacred Heart.
- Jan Tyranowski (1900-47), a Polish Catholic layman who profoundly influenced Pope St. John Paul II.